Hex Hall (Book 1)

Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins For once a story is not directly focused on vampires and werewolves. Oh how glad was I to hear all these positive reviews for this book.Clearly that was too much of an ask.Rachel Hawkins was not immune to the recent romantic supernatural push. This book had a cliché start with an unknown magical father and a mundane mother. Add in a private school setting, 3 bitches after the poor main characters and one extremely hot guy that happens to be dating the Queen Bee and we have a "perfect" formula. I guess this book had a good twist and some parts were good enough to push me to this far (half of the book) but the ill-tempered, I'm-a-tough-girl-but-I'm-not-immune-to-hot-guys Sophie annoyed the crap out of me. There was just not enough depth in any of Hawkins' characters. But I can clearly tell that Hawkins use to be a high school teacher because the drama level in this book is through the roof. I will not however, chase readers away from this book/series. If you had enjoyed Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty and the Mortal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare, you might have found a book that fits your taste, but I was not a fan.