Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft - Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodríguez A less exciting (comic) book than I expected. When I read the concept of this series, man, let's just say I got a little squeamish. It, in fact, sounds like a Neil Gaiman thing. Very Coraline.The concept of this old mansion with magical doors that can turn who ever walked through them into a ghost or the opposite gender was beyond cool. What disappointed me was:1. How little actual magic or unearthly concept actually took place in this first volume. I get it is an intro but Joe Hill focused way tok much ok the emotional cycle of dealing with someone's passing than actually this magical mansion.2. Sam. He creeped me out and what he dis with the truck driver made me want to throw this book down. I get he is a distraught and broken teen but you are a psycho killer! How come your insanity didn't kick in before -insert whatever Sam did with the bus driver- And don't say he didn't know how to get to his destination without the driver. There are such a thing known as road signs.The only thing that saved this book for me was the character Bode. I usually hate young impulsive kids but Bode's curiosity was cute and not annoying. I will read the next volume to see where Joe is taking with this unique concept.