Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs I apologize in advance for any jumbled up words. I am rather in a conflicted state of mind. I'm in love with how the book is set upped and I am feeling rather guilty for giving it 4 stars. My reasoning is down below...I've been looking for a great supernatural read that didn't involve the typical Big Four: vampires, werewolves, faeries and angels. So when I saw this book on Goodreads, I knew i had high hopes it.Peculiar. Oh how this reminds me of the GONE series by Michael Grant. It's paranormal fiction without those over-done Big Four. Every one of the peculiar children grew on me and made me care for them. It's like visiting a museum when I look at their pictures. I picture what was going on in their heads? What had been said and done before the pictures were taken? Like with almost every other book I have read, the main character was not my favourite and yet he was tolerable and I even connected with him at times. So I give a high five to the author for that! :) I loved the pictures that were partnered up with the story. As mentioned above, it brought into a state where I had to study every single one and take in every single detail. I loved the way it made me felt.This book dealt with the pass, during the Second World War. I've always loved stories which have taken in that era and this one pulled me right in. And when it was in the present day, I thought the book did very well to illustrate a foreign country for me. I felt equally mystified by the present setting as I did for the past.The reason this book lost one star for me was because I felt at times I could not stay entertained. I was looking forward to learning more about every one of the peculiars and yet it never came. I guess I was sort of hoping for a deeper incite to the past lives of all of the peculiars and it wasn't the route the author took. I felt my interest grow at parts and sank at others, so would have to give this book 4 stars.P.S.: THE ENDING WAS VERY TOUCHING AND YOU ALL KNOW HOW I LOVE 'EM PECULIARS. I felt that at the very end, I got to know all of them a bit better an it made me appreciate this book.